Dyersburg Tennessee History
The Bus Stop Cafe is a tradition in Dyersburg, Tennessee, and is located in a building that once served as a bus stop. The bus stop café has behaved well since its foundation at the beginning of the 20th century and is a part of the city's history.
Dyersburg Bus Stop Cafe, one of the oldest bus stop cafes in the United States, is located on Main Street and Main Avenue in Dyerburg, Tennessee. It is also located on the east side of State Street, next to the Tennessee State Capitol building and just a few blocks from downtown.
US Route 51 cuts through the old major highway that connected Memphis south to north with Chicago, and Dyer County is connected through the Mississippi River to Missouri's Interstate 155, which connects the state's second largest city, Memphis, as well as Nashville and Knoxville. The covered bridge, one of only three in the states, is an interesting trip for visitors young and old.
Newbern prides itself on its railway heritage and hosts an annual depot party to celebrate the historic Dyer County train station. Relive the history of Tennessee with a visit to the historic Newbern, Tennessee train station on Saturday, May 6, 2017.
View a rotating view of an animated map that illustrates the changes in Tennessee's county boundaries. County in the upper right corner of the map with the name of the county and the county boundaries and the number of counties.
If the required records are not found in the Family History Library collection, please contact the church or the area where your ancestors lived.
The Dyer County Register of Deeds dates back to 1823 and is located at the Tennessee State Library in Knoxville, Tennessee, on the second floor of the Knox County Courthouse. The county was founded in 1822 when John McIver and Joel H. Dyers donated 60 acres to give the new county town of Diesburg the name "McIvers Bluff" at the county's central location. In 1824, the county was officially established when both John "Miriver" and Joel H. Fyers donated land to create a new town and county - the Dyersburg, named after them.
Before white men entered the area, it was populated by gangs now called Sioux, Cherokee and Iroquois. This area was part of a territory in Tennessee that had previously been legally occupied by the Chickasaw Native Americans. In the 1850s, only about 1,000 to 2,500 native people lived west of the Mississippi. Although the Kiowa and Comanche tribes shared an area of the southern plains, the Native Americans in the northwest and southeast of the country were limited to the Indian area, which is now Oklahoma.
A branch line from Dyersburg to the north soon connected the county town of Tiptonville, and the market opportunities continued to expand. A branch line between Dyerburg and Northern was soon connected with the county town of TIPTONVILLE. Market options for goods and services in the region, as well as the availability of labour, further expanded markets and opportunities.
Dyer, Tennessee and nearby Gibson County were hit by a tornado on March 22, 1864, the first of its kind in Tennessee. The tornado then moved into Obion County near the town of Walnut Log and eventually into Fulton County in Kentucky.
In 1823, the Tennessee General Assembly passed a bill to establish Dyer County, which was to be the first district in the state of Tennessee with a population of 1,000. Indian land, Dyers County, formed the basis for the creation of the first school district in 1824 and the first courthouse in 1830.
The land surrounding Dyer County once belonged to the Chickasaw tribe, which ceded the area to the United States in 1818. In return, the federal government pledged to respect the tribal boundaries and make annual payments to Indians. Under the treaty, they accepted limited territory, agreed never to attack settlers, allowed the government to build roads and forts in the areas, and agreed that settlers were never attacked.
The Dyersburg Bank opened its first branch in Dyer County, which opened in 1881, and its second in 1929. The bank in Dyersberg opened its first bank in the district to operate 1881. In the late 1930s, it built the first brick and mortar office building in Tennessee and introduced the use of knitted nonwovens, A wool blend used in the production of coats for women.
Situated on the banks of the Tennessee River in Dyersburg, Tennessee, north of Nashville, Dyer County, it grew into a river town after the Grey Eagle made the first successful steamship voyage in 1836. Situated at the confluence of two rivers, the Mississippi and the Cumberland, in the eastern part of North Carolina and west of Alabama, and on a small strip of land between Nashville and Knoxville in the easternmost county of Tennessee, the Grey Eagle developed from a riverside village into an industrial centre of its own, after making its first successful steamship voyages in 1840 and 1841. Located at a confluence of rivers and lakes, right on the river and south of Asheville, the westernmost town in Tenn., it grew out of a Riverside Village and then to the same location as Blue Ridge Parkway, not far from Nashville.